Thursday, November 30, 2006

Food for no thoughts

When lunchtime would come around the corner during the ITS experience and that waves have been submerging my body all morning, the last thing on my mind was eating. It would take a long time before I would get up from my chair in the program room. Eventually, I would join the group for lunch. The first few days I would join them, not because I was hungry, because I really was not hungry, but I would join the group to talk and get to know the amazing women that were in he program with me. As Friday lunch came, not only was I not hungry at all but also I had nothing to say. I was so struck by the god force I had just witnessed in my self, I didn't know what I would say if I were to sit down with the group. Maybe I should have stayed by the water and continued to dance, maybe I should have sat with them without saying a word but the social rules are so ingrained in me. It was time for lunch, therefore I should eat and be social. So I did….

Food, lunch and dinner especially, is a metaphor in my life. It is an intermission between acts. I don’t eat a lot but when I do, it’s not always for pleasure. When I write, I nibble on something. When I have a writer’s block, I get hungry for an early lunch or dinner. I usually cannot write for more than 2 hours with no food. When I don't write for a while, for days or weeks, my life seems to revolved around food (doesn't help that my husband and I are in the restaurant business) I love food and wine. And it should be about the love of it, not the need of it.

The Monday after the powerful ITS, when I got back to my writing, I sat down in the morning and my mind was racing. I was not typing fast enough to capture it all. The bodies of the words were in the way but I was finding the best fit for my thoughts. In any case, I sat in front of my computer for 6 hours, with no lunch break and I was not hungry for dinner after.

It makes you wonder. During the ITS, I was thinking that a body that is resonating with it's signal #1 must not need food. I am sure that the Atlanteans ate mangoes for pleasure, not for necessity!

No comments: